Sunday, March 23, 2008

Saving Me from Myself

When you meet me for the first time I don’t come across as a recluse at once, but how appearances can fool. For the most part of 30 years of my life I have lived a life of denial – a denial of life as it ought to be for me. Having a low sense of self regard I let people walk all over me so much that it has long since stopped hurting. He ain’t a bad bloke is what you will hear most people say about me but nevertheless, the fly in the ointment is I cannot be friendship material to anyone or anything that breathes. I am too darn stiff, too darn up-tight and generally , not knowing how to have and give others a good time . Switching off in the “now” moment is negative baggage to lug around if you ever wanted to move up in life: a crime to which I stand guilty as accused. Increasingly, I feel I may have missed out on certain of life’s rules of engagement by attending the wrong kind of school - a convent and growing up in the wrong kind of environment ( a West Bank of sorts, with aggression and bullying thrown in as wallpaper music ) or as is more likely the case, it may all be simply down to what makes me, moi! Why blame it on something or someone else when I know all too well my own actions and behavioral choices have in some sense sculpted the render of my life, as I’ve come to know it today?!

Since I was a kid in middle school the one constant companion to me has been Fear. My Fear of Loss and of Inheritance of Responsibility is incomparable to other fears and phobias I may have in my catalogue of Fears. Fear of inheritance of responsibility has been a constant companion to me all my life and try as I might to wean myself off it, it keeps getting macro-er & macro-er as I grow older. My pre-occupation with the Fear of Loss is so daunting that thinking about it scares the living day lights out of me. In some sense, all of our gremlins are inter-woven and therefore, I am seeking to see the light with this entry. But so far I haven’t been able to crack them in order to get on with living a life less fearful and therefore, much less stressful.

I have another weakness : that of presumptuousness. I make presumptions every time all the time– and mostly incorrect about people and situations I don’t particularly know enough about only to find out later on, what a jack-ass it has made me seem. On a lighter note, for as long as I can remember I have presumed “heresy” and “hearsay” to mean the same thing and have often used both words inter-changeably( with disastrous effect, I might add) 

Forever afraid to be construed “ a religious type” (and I know I will find plentiful company here) I go to great lengths to keeping this tightly under wraps. I find it ludicrous that for a man to be seen as religious, should be regarded a sign of weakness in my culture, while talking someone down is not and is even celebrated as a positive trait of forthrightness. Nevertheless, I toe the line by repressing this urge to proudly show off my religious tricolore.

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet (which I know I often do obtusely) many have remarked on my impeccable diction. If only they knew what a struggle I find it is for facility of thought to be embalmed in that diction! They say I could be a posh voice over or a voice coach of some sort. With a little help on the clarity of thought aspect, and with a little help from my dear friend HB, I could someday even commentate for English county cricket.


On balance, I have married into pacifist behaviour ( without drawing up any prenup) which may hold me in good stead, if I were to contemplate a monastic existence in the Tibet. But working for a Jewish business house, in and out of Antartica ,these attributes and more like them all seem such a burden that need jettisoning sooner rather than later.
But how ??

My reticence to think out loud in public forums means that what I am thinking or feeling passionately about; my inner conflicts and arguements cannot hold sway with those around me. I put this down, partly to my shyness, and partly to the disconnect I feel between various thought processes going on on the inside and verbalization, or the lack of it – for one thing I am never going to be able to think in English, of that I am certain. Perhaps my love affair with my native that’s getting in the way of my interfacing and seriously engaging with others in English, or maybe it’s just who I am. Which also explains why I feel blogging’s the bestest thing to have happened to people, who like me, suffer dysmorphic personality and language disorders (DPLD) : a signature coinage so no point looking that up on the un-moderated wikepedia.

Agreed, so how do I set things right, once and for all ? A thousand words later, and I still haven’t a clue. Is it too late to resuscitate some Life into my state of zombie-hood and what baby steps if any, need taking for a closure ? Sorry to let you down but I wasn’t insinuating suicide here. Sure, we all have our moments; our brush with existential dilemmas etc., but it does get better for some of us at least, right? As you can tell, I am yet to lose my yen for reality altogether though I cannot claim anterior knowledge of how well I will cope and respond in any given real life event or situation.

On sexuality - I am still trying to making peace with mine. I find it a constant struggle as I am sure a lot of you will also be finding it with the concept of rigid sexuality, ingrained in us somewhere. “If it’s Saturday night I must be homosexual”, isn’t something we are allowed to be open about much less experiment with. With your help and support, I will be able to find my second wind, and soon, failing which I can always break into a lope and escape from reality indulging, in Sufi music, Oprah, online networking and polishing my soft skills without a sense of any real purpose.
Last but not the least , sulking in the past is another of my many peccadillos. If only I could get a move on, and live in the present I’d be as happy now as I was 5 years back when professionally, I used to be quite in vogue. And that I suppose is just how incorrigible I can get. Mind you, I like me for me, for being my inimitable, incorrigible self. Now that’s self- congratulatory behaviour for you! :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What drivel you come up with from time to time!

".....set things right, once and for all."
There's no such thing as once and for all. You'll always have to take the rough with the smooth and even out your idiosyncrasies, as best you can.

5:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there's ever a wooden spoon going out to the world's silliest blog, yours comes charging right up on the rails.

7:39 pm  
Blogger Intlxpatr said...

LOL @ your commenters!

When you are thinking at the keyboard, I know you think you are telling us a lot more than you really are. You are tantalizingly elliptical.

"working for a Jewish business house, in and out of Antartica "

Is that true??

One of the reasons I like your musings is that while I appear (training) socially ept, put me in a situation like a wedding reception (endless) where the music is too loud for any conversation and we are supposed to be having fun, and oh Lord, please get me out of here.

I need my quiet, I need my space, I need NOT to talk.

When you write, you are very good at allowing us a little bit of the way into your existence.

9:31 am  
Blogger Men Who Do Cleavages said...

Welcome back, Seattle mama!

While I admit I work for a Jewish shark our businesses span across several geographies.
Antartica was used just for effect.

1:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home