Send up, or for real?....you decide
This just came into my in-tray this morning. Before I even set eye balls rolling; I am unable to authenticate the veracity of this story or to vouchsafe the source....Big time!Sorry.
Why don't we just take it as is, and throw away caution to libel lawyers?
The scene depicted below, purportedly,took place on a trans-atlantic commercial flight. It isn't clear how far back in time this did happen, if at all it did.
A white woman, 50 something years, was assigned a seat next to a black man. Disturbed by this, she called the air hostess. "You, obviously, do not see it then?" she responded. You placed me next to a black man. I do not agree to sit next to someone from such a repugnant group. Give me an alternative seat. "
"Be calm please," the hostess replied. "Almost all the places on this flight are taken. I will go to see if another place is available."
The hostess went away, and then came back a few minutes later. "Ma'am, just as I thought, there are no other seats available in Economy . I spoke to the supervisor and he informed me that there is also no seat in Business Class. All the same, we still have one place left in First Class." Before the woman could say anything, the hostess continued - "It is not usual for our company to permit someone from Economy Class to sit in the First Class. However, given the circumstances, we discussed this with our captain, who feels it would be scandalous to make anyone sit next to someone so-oooo disgusting." She turned to the black guy, and said, "Therefore, Sir, if you would like to, please collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in First Class." At that moment, the other passengers, who'd been shocked by what they had just witnessed, stood up and applauded. End of Story.
Did I have you there? The latterly bit about the other passengers' reaction was only me, trying desperately to cook up some politically correct mash into the hash; as if what this story needed is somemore pc: wouldja say I'll be damned if I do?
Assuming this to have REALLY happened, what would you have done in the flight attendant's shoes and why? I'd like to hear of your experiences with hate and prejudice in the airline industry; of which I have it on good authority there's a lot of that knocking about.
Any guesses, which airline, this is purported to have happened?
Disclaimer : Your comment risks instant disqualification if you so much as think mentioning Air India, Air France, MEA or Kuwait Airways, for that matter, as probables. So,there!
14 Comments:
I am willing to put my money on Singapore Airlines; one of very few airlines in the world which will definitely not put up with this sort of trash; passenger's race or nationality regardless.
Judging by the response of the inflight crew, I would imagine such an event to have happened in recent times although the passenger action itself harks back to Dr King's era.
That said, subtle racism still sticks its ugly neck out ever so often in the skies, and
it's telling how easily the perpetrators get way with it most of the time!
Come again...... subtle racism?! How do you mean?
Racism is racism period.
The woman passenger was well out of line behaving the way she did, however; the flight attendant's demeanour was no less gauche.
If I were she I'd have probably said a firm no to her and let it rest at that, after sounding off the super. Only if she would still persist would it become necessary to ask her to sod off and to deal with it herself.
On airlines I do think no airline in the world can claim to be totally racist-proof(no pun intended!). A few black sheep will always be operating in the ranks of the cabin crew or ground handling staff, and like with everything else in life, basically, you just learn to take the good with the bad. I am , of course, a little taken aback when you lump Air India with airlines, such as Air France and MEA ; traditionally, airlines with an attitude.
Beats me, what could be the common denominator between them?!
Also pl. end the suspense and tell us what airline is believed to be involved in this but only after you have first declared that no conflict of interests exists.
Oh yes, do let's talk about NO conflict of interests; if there is such a thing as that!
I will put an end to your misery, durango : the suspense airline in question, hold your breath, is British Airways.
Not sure though how well such a story would work as sales pitch for them. Rest assured, personally, I have no stakes in BA.
While passenger discrimination on board Air France, MEA or even Kuwait Airways, has come to be a given it is remarkable when Air India which is no less discriminating than any of them are, gets away with it and how well too!You will be amazed by just how far "the discriminated" have themselves turned "discriminators", Durango. Air India's is a classic case in point.
Plagued by a ceaseless post-colonial "Raj" hang-over, most of the Air India crew like doing what they do best; arse licking white passengers at the expense of all others.
It is shocking to fly Air India on their Gulf routes especially, and somehow not come way with a sense of thorough disgust at the cavalier attitude that some senior in-flight personnel have toward
blue-collar passengers, who incidentally, comprise over 70% of their clientele in the Gulf.
On a recent flight into Kuwait on Air India, I couldn't help but catch snatches of conversation between a purser and a hostess, which went something like this:
Hostess: "Do you mind taking this to that passenger in 2D? She smells awful! "
Purser : "Sure thing! But first, you must tell me what it is she smells of?!"
Hostess : I dunno know...it's a bit like farting.
Purser :" Hehehe. Give it to me - what is she having, again? White wine, did I hear you say? Watch this!"
Purser to woman in 2D: "Here's a Heineken for Madame, just as she asked for."
Hostess : "You back? You know I have this passenger in Economy, she can't seem to pronounce "pilot" right. I just heard her say to her son, do you want to be a poilet(as in toilet) when you grow up?"
Purser:" Crackling laughter.... we always get them lot, to Kuwait and to Jeddah, don't we?"
Hostess: " Yeah, we always do. Look at the way that one there in 4B is dressed. There's no harm in looking sexy but if you ask me, that is a bit much."
I rest my case folks. Sorry about this digression, but what most airlines including Air India, most need today is a radical overhaul of crew mentality; not some
fancy fleet overhaul.
It is precisely, because people like you, let them get away with it that class discrimination still prevails in our society.
Even if what you say, actually happened on the Air India flight that day, it is insulting not just to the one passenger whom the remark was directed at, but to all passengers on the flight.
Coming to KU, ever been witness to a domestic maid passenger or a labourer being pulled from his or her assigned seat on the aircraft because a certain someone found it too distressing to share their space with those who don't quite look right, smell right, or earn enough, and are of the wrong sex maybe? Frequent fliers of Kuwait Airways, deja vu anyone?!
Hello from Italy
Ranting slightly off topic; racism comes in all sorts - if you think only black and white, you had better think again!
It has been my experience that often times, the 'discriminated' take 'discrimination' to a whole new level. For them it is okay to be discriminated by a certain group, and in turn, they are only too willing & happy to discriminate some more but only if it's against their own kind. Such a brand of racism, if you will, smacks of a slave mentality that typifies much of the crew coming from South East Asian countries.
In stark contrast , Middle Eastern and Caucasian crew are more natural in their racism(if you will excuse the lameness of that statement) in that some of them at least, are a willing party to discrimination but not against their own kind.
This fundamental difference in behaviour was driven home to me when I stopped to consider my neighbors; one of whom is Indian Punjabi and the other, a Lebanese.
While Mr Indian would, given a choice, prefer to shop only at 'Bedouin' or 'Sawani Stores' because of their"foreignness", Mr. Lebanese would avoid shopping at Jashanmals, if he could, because of its "Indianness": a win win situation for Habbchi & Chloub, whichever way you look at it(:) but that's beside the point.
Disclaimer : Politically correct pedants needn't bother putting their two cents on this comment since the focus of my comment has never really been to mutter politically correct, sweet nothings but rather to call it the way I see it.
Race shurta, get real - what are the odds of having a curry loving Indian Punjabi neighbor living right next door to a Havana cigar puffing Lebanese Christian, in Kuwait?
I would imagine chances of that to be 1 in 2 million. Not that I am suggesting each finds the other to be stand-offish or anything, but it's plain market forces at work.
As such, the timing of your entry couldn't have come at a worse time when race relations are already at an all time low with emotions still raw on both sides and tempers frayed.
To be fair to most airline crew I do not think racism is the right word here : it is more of a class thing, or accent discrimination thing, if you like. I am not trying to justify racist behaviour but have you ever spared much thought to what it is about Western passengers that makes the crew or even the restaurant waiter, want to give them the best service. I think you wil find the answer lies in the way in which they try to go all out and relate to the person servicing their need. They make them feel genuinely valued and appreciated while receiving the service and would generally, not be seen ordering people around; it's as simple as that.
On Kuwait Airways, I have this juicy anecdote to share from an inside source. Apparently, there are some air hostesses there who are more special than others, and who because they cannot stand giving service to the underbelly of society; any number of whom they consider could just as easily have been in their own employ at home ie. domestic maids, cooks, drivers etc; they want only to do the Europe and Americas route. How sad is that?
hey sorry am just gonna read ur post, I like Kazuo Ishiguro too though we were orphans (wassit that) was an awful downer ;) Just got the Unconsoled. Gimme Remains of the Day anyday
Hiya,
No disrespect meant but are you always this mellow? :)
Welcome on board my blog. So you too, like having your tea with milk, canapes and Ishiguro?! I always knew great minds could think alike. :)
Thanks for the visit.
Threatening to crash in on your blog (without a visa) any day now - AK.
PS: I was baptised by Remains of the Day and have now come of age with Never Let Me Go. "Never Let Me Go" does for me what Remains of the Day did to you.
Excellent repartee and a fit answer to the "disgusting" woman. Reminds me of another. An airhostess was once told by the great boxer that supermen did not need parachutes. Pat came the reply ," Supermen do not need airplanes either"
Don't buy this for a minute...and the victim sat mute through this charade? Have travelled a fair bit - airlines across the board but never seen/experienced such a load of tripe...and most of my travelling was about 10-12 yrs ago when racism was perhaps a bit more prevelant. Btw viZag is Vishakapatnam - you got that right ;) Have you read Isabelle Allende?
Hi there, Hiren:
Kem chho? We welcome you on board.Hope you are liking the welcome drink.
Rama:
No, I haven't read her but since you say so, I will put her up on my radar.
Thanx for sharing,
AK
Post a Comment
<< Home